As a User, Customer or Registered Member of Cheif.com we understand that you would be concerned about your online privacy. We at Cheif are concerned and respect your privacy, and protect the privacy of all concerned by using the information you provide with utmost care and security. First and foremost you need to be 18 years or older to register at Cheif.com as a member or for commercial usage of this B2C website.
By using this website and its services (for example, when you visit our website and read news or browse through various other portions of our websites or register via social media or via the registration form), you agree to provide consent to our collection, use and sharing of your personal information as described in this policy. In some cases, particularly if you reside in a country governed by a data protection regulation, we may ask you to provide explicit consent to access our services before proceeding for further operations.
What data is collected
Collection and Use of Personal Information
‘Personal Information’ or ‘PII’ is defined as any information that identifies (whether directly or indirectly) to a particular individual or natural person, such as the individual’s name, postal address, email address, mobile number and any other identifier indicating to that particular person. When anonymous information is directly or indirectly associated with personal information, the resulting information also is treated as personal information. The Company respects the privacy of the users of the Services they use and is committed to reasonably protect it in all respects. The information about the user as collected by the Company are:
- Information supplied by users
- Information automatically tracked while navigation
- Inferred information through usage and log data
- Information collected from any other sources (like third party providers or social media platforms)
A. Information collected at the time of registration
The access to some general features of our website is free. However for using certain services on our website such as for shopping online or interactive features, we request you to complete the Registration Form and thus create a Cheif.com User Account. During registration, following information is collected-
- Phone Number
- Email Address
- IP address
You may also be asked to provide certain personal or non-personal information prior to participation in certain forums, chat-rooms, blogs, surveys, contests, etc., going forward, thus ensuring an enhanced and personalised experience on Cheif.com. We shall not be responsible for privacy of any information provided by you on our website which has not been specifically requested by us. A login identity and password would be available for your use. All activities that occur using your password are your responsibility, whether or not authorised by you. You agree to immediately notify us of any unauthorised use of your password or registered account. In case we cannot verify the information that you provide when you log on or otherwise, we may ask you to send us additional information by fax, such as your driving license, credit card statement, utility bill or any other information linking you to your applicable address or may request you to answer additional questions online to help verify your personal identification information.
Subscription or paid service data:
When you chose any subscription or paid service, we or our payment gateway provider may collect your personal information such as address or billing information, including your credit/debit card number and expiration date etc. The subscriptions or paid Services may be on auto renewal mode unless cancelled. If at any point you do not wish to auto-renew your subscription, you may cancel your subscription before the end of the subscription term or contact us on our support e-mail. But it may be noted that financial details, if any, procured from a registered user are not stored by us and shall be sourced and used by the payment gateway facilitator or concerned processing bank(s) with suitable instructions in connection to execution of our customer’s orders.
Information you provide to us voluntarily:
We may collect additional information at other times, including but not limited to, when you provide feedback to us or you change your content or email preferences, respond to a survey, or communicate with us.
B. Information automatically collected while Browsing/navigating through the website
To improve the responsiveness of the “website” for our users, we may use “cookies”, or similar electronic tools to collect information to assign each visitor a unique, random number as a User Identification (User ID) to understand the user’s individual interests using the identified computer. Unless you voluntarily identify yourself (through registration, for example), we will have no way of knowing who you are, even if we assign a cookie to your computer. The only personal information a cookie can contain is information you supply. A cookie cannot read data off your hard drive. Our advertisers may also assign their own cookies to your browser (if you click on their ads), a process that we do not control. We receive and store certain types of information whenever you interact with us via the website.
C. Inferred Information through usage and log data
We may track certain information about you based upon your behaviour on using our services. We use this information for conducting internal research on our users’ demographics, devices, interests, and behaviour to better understand, protect and serve our users.
We may also collect Your Information to track user behaviour and preferences for internal analytics and research. We may also use your information
- To evaluate your interest for various genres of content, services, offers;
- To perform analytics and conduct customer research, to determine your interest, for identifying content that generate sales and to analyse traffic patterns.
If you choose to post messages on social media accounts, message boards, or other message areas or leave feedback, we will collect that information you provide to us. We retain this information as necessary to resolve disputes, provide customer support and troubleshoot problems as permitted by law.
The above information may also be captured by keeping cookies on our websites by our affiliates for the purposes mentioned above.
If you send us personal correspondence, such as emails or letters, or if other users or third parties send us correspondence about your activities or postings on our services, we may collect and store such information.
D. Clear GIFs
We may use “clear GIFs” (Web Beacons) to track the online usage patterns of our Users in an anonymous manner, without personally identifying the User. We may also use clear GIFs in HTML-based emails sent to our Users to track which emails are opened by recipients. We use this information to inter-alia deliver our web pages to you upon request, to tailor our Sites or Service to the interests of our users, to measure traffic within our Sites to improve the quality, functionality and interactivity of our Sites and let advertisers know the geographic locations from where our Users come without personally identifying the Users.
E. Information we collect from third parties
Information obtained from other sources
We may receive information about you from other sources, add it to our account information and treat it in accordance with this policy. If you provide information to the platform provider or other partner, whom we provide services, your account information and order information may be passed on to us. We may obtain updated contact information from third parties in order to correct our records and fulfil the Services or to communicate with you.
Demographic and purchase information
We may reference other sources of demographic and other information in order to provide you with more targeted communications and promotions. We use Google Analytics, among others, to track the user behaviour on our website. Google Analytics specifically has been able to support display advertising towards helping us gain understanding of our users’ Demographics and Interests. The reports are anonymous and cannot be associated with any individual personally identifiable information that you may have shared with us.
Links to third party websites
How collected data is used
Purpose and Lawfulness of processing
We will only collect and process personal data about you where we have lawful basis. Lawful basis on which we would process your personal information includes obtaining explicit consent from you or processing for “legitimate interests” where processing is necessary by us to provide you with services (For e.g. processing your information by our group companies/affiliates). We use information to provide, analyse, administer, enhance and personalize our service and marketing efforts, to process your registration, to provide you services, and to communicate with you related to below mentioned points. For example, we use information to:
- To help advertisers understand our audience and confirm the value of advertising on our websites or applications (however it is usually in the form of aggregated statistics on traffic to various pages within our site) and to provide you relevant ads
- Cheif also allows advertisers and creators to serve advertisements directly, using Times Internet Limited’s own ad serving technologies.
- Communicate with you concerning our service (for example by email, push notifications), so that we can send you news about Cheif, details about new features and content available at Cheif, promotional announcements, and surveys, and to assist you with operational requests such as password reset requests.
- Allow you to participate in interactive features offered through our Services
- Sharing with our customer support team to resolve your queries/concerns related to your rights or services provided to you
Information use by the company
The Information supplied by you enables us to improve our services and provide you the most user-friendly experience(s). In some cases for e.g. provision of certain service(s) or utility (ies), we may require your contact information as well. All required information is service dependent and the Company may use the above said user Information to, maintain, protect, and improve the Services (including advertising) and for developing new services. Any personally identifiable information provided by you will not be considered as sensitive if it is freely available and / or accessible in the public domain like any comments, messages, blogs, scribbles available on social platforms like Facebook, twitter etc
How collected data is shared
Information Sharing and Disclosure
Cheif does not rent, sell, or share personal information about you with other people or non-affiliated companies except to provide products or services requested and permitted by you to Cheif.com to process the same, or under the following circumstances:
- We provide the information to trusted partners who work on behalf of or with Cheif.com under confidentiality agreements. These companies may use your personal information to help Cheif.com communicate with you about offers from Cheif.com and our marketing partners. However, these companies do not have any independent right to share this information. In case these companies do share the information, Cheif would not be held liable for the same.
- We respond to subpoenas, court orders, or legal process, or to establish or exercise our legal rights or defend against legal claims.
- We transfer information about you if Cheif.com is acquired by or merged with another company.
- Cheif.com does not provide any personal information to the advertiser when you interact with or view a targeted ad. However, by interacting with or viewing an ad you are consenting to the possibility that the advertiser will make the assumption that you meet the targeting criteria used to display the ad.
- Cheif.com advertisers include financial service providers (such as banks, insurance agents, stock brokers and mortgage lenders) and non-financial companies (such as stores, airlines, and software companies).
- Cheif.com works with vendors, partners, advertisers, and other service providers in different industries and categories of business.
User control over collected data
A. Accessing and Rectifying your personal information
When you use the Services (website/application or any of its sub sites), we make good faith efforts to provide you, as and when requested by you, with access to your personal information and shall further ensure that any personal information or sensitive personal data or information found to be inaccurate or deficient shall be corrected or amended as feasible. We have provided the user an option to correct/update his personal information on their own by clicking on ‘My Account’ settings post login and then they may update their information.
B. Data Portability
You may also be entitled to request copies of personal information that you have provided to us in a structured, commonly used, and machine-readable format; wherever feasible. You may send your request by sending an e-mail to our support team
C. Data Retention and Erasure
We retain your personal information if necessary for us to provide services to you or you ask us to not retain your data. If you no longer want us to use your information, then you can go to your ‘My Account’ settings and delete your account and close your Cheif account. Please note that if you delete your account
- We may retain some of your personal information as necessary for our legitimate business interests, such as fraud detection and prevention and enhancing safety. For example, if we suspend a Cheif account for fraud or safety reasons, we may retain certain information from that account to prevent that user from opening a new account in the future.
- We may retain and use your personal information to the extent necessary to comply with our legal obligations. For example, we may keep some of your information for tax, legal reporting and auditing obligations.
- Information you have shared with others (e.g., Reviews, forum postings) may continue to be publicly visible on the Cheif website, social media pages even after your account is cancelled. However, attribution of such information to you will be removed. Additionally, some copies of your information (e.g., log records) may remain in our database, but are disassociated from personal identifiers.
- Because of the way we maintain certain services, after you delete your information, residual copies may take a period of time before they are deleted from our active servers and may remain in our backup systems.
D. Withdrawing Consent and Restriction of Processing
For withdrawing your consent at any time during the tenure of your services with us, you may choose to do so by sending us an e-mail. We shall review your request and may ask you to verify your identity. Post verification we will withdraw the consent for which request was made by you and stop any further processing of your personal information. You may also withdraw your consent for cookies and advertisement by going to ‘Settings’ and click on consent and withdraw the consent.
You can write to us in case of any grievance or compliant at the support e-mail address. If you have any complaints regarding processing of your personal information you may contact our data protection officer or our grievance officer at the below mentioned e-mail address. You have the right to complaint about the data processing activities carried out by Cheif before the competent data protection authorities.
F. Objection to Processing
Where your personal information is processed for direct marketing purposes or any contests or promotions or other services, you may, at any time ask us to cease processing your data for these direct marketing purposes by sending an e-mail to us
Please be aware that if you do not allow us to collect personal information from you, we may not be able to deliver certain experiences, and services to you, and some of our services may not be able to take account of your interests and preferences. If collection of personal information is mandatory, we will make that clear at the point of collection so that you can make an informed decision whether to participate. If you have questions about the specific personal information about you that we process or retain, and your rights regarding that personal information, please contact us at the below mentioned e-mail address.
Cheif is not intentionally designed for or directed at persons less than 18 years of age. Cheif does not knowingly permit any person who is under 18 years of age to register with the services or to provide any other personally identifying information. If we become aware that any personally identifiable information of persons less than 18 years of age has been collected on our Services without verified parental consent, then we will take the appropriate steps to delete any such information and notify the parent.
However, we consider it the responsibility of parents to monitor their children’s use of our services. Nevertheless, it is our policy not to collect and process any personal information from children below 18 years of age or offer to send any promotional materials to persons in that category. Cheif does not seek or intend to seek or receive any personal information from children. Should a parent or guardian have reasons to believe that a minor has provided Cheif with personal information without their prior consent, please contact our customer support team to ensure that the personal information is removed from the services.
Data transfer, storage & processing globally
Security and compliance with laws: How we protect your personal data
We take appropriate security measures to protect against unauthorized access to or unauthorized alteration, disclosure or destruction of data. These include internal reviews of our data collection, storage and processing practices and security measures, including appropriate encryption and physical security measures to guard against unauthorized access to systems where we store personal data. All information gathered on the Site is securely stored within the Times Group controlled database. The database is stored on servers secured behind a firewall; access to the servers is password-protected and is strictly limited. However, as effective as our security measures are, no security system is impenetrable. If you know or have reason to believe that your Cheif account credentials have been lost, stolen, altered, or otherwise compromised or in case of any actual or suspected unauthorized use of your account, please contact us by contacting our customer support team- email@example.com
Changes to privacy notice
Resolving privacy issues