Virtual Learning: The new Norm.
Virtual classrooms are a new norm for children these days but what is the impact of this new way of learning on our child is a point of concern to many of us.
The COVID 19 pandemic situation has many effects on our lives. All of us have been affected in every possible way. We are trying to adapt this new way of living to cope with the ongoing situation and continue to meet our needs. Modern technology played a very important role in this difficult period. Whether, an employee from multinational company working from home or children’s using technology for distant education, all of us are taking advantage of latest technology. Moving to distant learning is one of the measures to prevent the spread of COVID19.
A Virtual learning method was popular among young adults as they were fully relying on modern technology. But when it comes to school children, especially small kids, they are not used to this new method of learning, it becomes difficult for them to stay focused. Students, parents, and faculty are attempting to adapt this new method with partial satisfaction. There are pros and cons of virtual learning as there are two sides to each picture.
Advantages of virtual learning
- Students can reach their classroom by click and log on to a wide group of educators to enhance their knowledge.
- Everything available on the Internet makes education cost effective.
- This new generation has grown up playing with technology. Children’s love to spend time with their gadgets therefore, using gadgets themselves for educational purposes is one of the best ways to distract kids from playing games for long hours.
- Once students are comfortable with e-learning, they can continue using this by pursuing different courses online to improve current skills.
- E- Learning courses make use of new technologies like animated videos, colorful images, infographics and attractive presentations etc. to grasp children’s attention. This helps students to learn faster and remember things for long period of time.
- Through virtual learning access to knowledge is open to everyone. It breaks geographic boundaries, as students need not to be physically or physiologically present.
- E- Learning method is environmentally friendly as it is a paperless method of learning. In accordance with the research it consumes 90% less energy and 85% less carbon emission. There is no need to commute, therefore it saves time as well.
Disadvantages of virtual learning
- Sudden shifts to virtual classrooms from traditional classrooms are challenging for underperforming students. As they are trying to adapt to a new method of learning as well as improve their grades.
- The E-Learning method is largely based on the theoretical knowledge and it lacks practical experience.
- Not all students have access to technology for a variety of reasons. Also, technological failure issues may develop frustration and make children anxious.
- Lack of face-to-face attraction with teachers and peers may lead to poor communication skills among children.
- Students face problems when it comes to working in a team as they are completely relying on technology, this may lead to social isolation.
- Students with lack of time management skills face problems completing their work on time, which indirectly leads to lack of motivation.
Here are some guidelines for both students and parents to satisfy themselves and perform better.
Guidelines for parents
In this pandemic when children are at home and use the Internet and latest technology not only to play games online but also to study. Parents and educators need to provide children’s utmost care, concern, compassion and guidance for their progress and overall well-being. Here are some guidelines for parents to save their children from misusing the latest technology.
- Parents who are not entirely comfortable with use to the latest technology get yourself familiar with it and tools used by schools for various purposes. This way they will be able to help their child with assignments completion and will also be able to supervise their child’s learning experience.
- Spend some time with your kid sharing the activities they do online, like increasing social interaction and bonding by playing online games with them. This will help parents get familiar with modern technology and build a healthy relationship with children.
- Communicate and encourage your child to share their experiences and knowledge openly. Try to build a friendly relationship with your child, so that they can share their problems with you.
- Set some rules for your child, restrict cell phone use before bedtime and during meals.
Guidelines for students
- Dedicate the area of the house for your study purpose only to help your body and mind fully concentrate on studies.
- Help yourself by cutting down all the noise around your study area.
- Keep yourself organized by keeping all the necessary stuff close to you like notebooks, school supplies etc.
- Try not to use cell phones for any other purpose during the time of classes.
- Avoid the use of a screen in dim light, it causes irreversible damage to your eyes and affects vision.
- Take a break from the screen every 20 to 30 minutes to help your eyes relax.